Muslim Family Seeks Apology after Discrimination

By Leanne Khov
Entertainment Editor

A Muslim family is demanding an apology from the United Airlines after being removed from their flight at the Chicago O’Hare International Airport. Last month, the family was forced to exit their flight to Washington due to what claimed to be a “safety of flight issue” when it was actually due to discrimination.

Originally scheduled on SkyWest 5811, the removal began when the parents of the Muslim family were discussing with a flight attendant on how to strap their youngest daughter’s booster seat and requesting for an additional strap. When the flight attendant denied any extra straps as advertised on the airline’s website, another flight attendant came by, stating they couldn’t use their booster. Eventually, the pilot requested that the family should leave with the mother, wearing a headscarf, asking if the request was a “discriminatory decision.”

The parents obediently left their flight in order to not frighten their children or disturb the other passengers. They were rebooked to a later flight due to their booster seat concern, which did not comply with federal safety regulation.

“I felt singled-out, humiliated and helpless,” the mother said to CNN.

The family has asked for an apology from the airline, corrective action for the crew involved and reimbursement for that return flight, and accommodations they had to book to adjust their travel plans.

“We are tired of Muslim-looking passengers being removed from flights for the flimsiest reasons, under a cryptic claim of ‘security’,” said Ahmed Rehab, a member of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), who is representing the family.

The mother posted a video of the discussion the flight crew had on Facebook, shaming the airline for judging them by their looks. This situation gained much controversy until the airline finally apologized for their action and the flight attendant was put into more training.

“The family did nothing to deserve to be forced off their flight. All they wanted to do was to keep their child safe. Getting another strap shouldn’t be so difficult for a flight attendant to do. It’s not fair that the family was being discriminated against,” stated sophomore Anusha Khan.