Ke$ha continues fighting for freedom

By Brianna Rayner
Op-Ed Editor

Kesha Rose Sebert was born during the late 80s: the golden age, hits of synthesizer melodies and vigorous anthems. Due to her emerging in the inspirational city of Nashville, Tennessee she was destined to someday sparkle in the spot light.

In 2005, when Kesha was just 18, she signed to musician, song writer and record producer Lukasz Gottwald’s label Kemosabe Records.

What she surely thought was the beautiful beginning to her dream carrier. For the most part, it was. Her revolution came in early 2009 after appearing on the illustrious rapper, Flo Rida’s number-one single, “Right Round.” From then on, Kesha took it upon herself to ensure that her name would always be remembered.

As Kesha began escalating to the top, things took a rapid turn for the worst. During the October of 2014, Kesha filed a lawsuit against the man she believed had a major role in making her dreams come to life. Gottwald has been sexually assaulting Kesha and threating to take away her publishing rights.

According to dailymail.co.uk, “She is suing because, she has maintained, SME, which owns the RCA Records label, is partly responsible for giving the record producer a platform to continue his abuse.” The record label gave Gottwald full business control (basically giving him a perfect opportunity to black mail Kesha to a T.)

Kesha’s lawyer, Mark Gerago, wrote in the legal brief, last October, “The letters in response indicated Sony specifically will not work with Kesha unless she agrees to work with Kemosabe and Dr. Luke’s company, KMI.” He continued, “Kesha now faces an abysmal decision: work with her alleged abuser … or idly and passively wait as her career tick-tocks away.”

So basically, Kesha was condemned to be hopeless and unproductive, for over a year. I personally don’t quite understand why it is taking this long for Kesha to be in the clear to be able to freely publish her music again. I believe that Kesha should not have to fight so hard and put her career on the line for the basic right she should automatically be given.

I wonder why they never included anything in the contract to benefit someone in Kesha’s situation. For example: the contract will be automatically terminated if it ever came to a point like this.

On the bright side, they essentially began to assist Kesha with this situation more this year, so hopefully Kesha will someday continue to fill our hearts with mystic harmonies, and show us that no matter what struggle you are going through you can always continue to make your way back to the top.