Pressures of having the perfect body crushes teens’ self-esteem

By Brianna Rayner
Op-Ed Editor

Macy races through the unwelcoming halls with a bag clutched in her hands; hidden inside is a bagel. With her eyes glued to the ground she tries avoiding as much confrontation as possible. The headphones are in but they’re not loud enough to block out all the negativity, but she doesn’t increase the tunes she listens to the judgments instead, she wants to hear them. She strives to “fix” herself, to fit in for a change.

As she reaches her destination at the frightening cafeteria, she sits by her lonesome and attempts to enjoy her food in peace.

Unfortunately she can’t complete the task, two bites of the bagel are down but it’s already trying to escape.

Jimmy always had this dream of being a professional football player. His parents encouraged him, and made him believe it was totally possible.

On the other hand, the kids at school crushed his dream and turned it into a cruel joke… All his life Jimmy has had Crohn’s, (a lifelong inflammatory bowel disease) but of course that’s no exception according to our revolting society. He was still treated diversely due to his to his petite body.

The truth is that society is never satisfied; at the end of the day it continues to strive to make everyone the impossible, perfect.

People are constantly judged by various aspects, but the question is, is there a difference in the way diverse genders are pressured to have the perfect bodies? As a kid I was considered overweight and I can honestly say people did treat me different then, compared to when I lost the weight and got older.

Back when I was “overweight” I barely had any friends, it was very unfortunate because I went to a very minor/ “family like” elementary school. Meaning you had the same 20-30 kids in your class from kindergarten to eighth grade. So you would expect to bond with those kids due to the fact that you’re basically growing up with them. It was very upsetting because I was basically excluded from the groups they had, and no guy would ever think about talking to me.

By the time I was in seventh grade I started growing into my body a little better and thinning out. And honestly, the people that would judge me before they even got to know me began attempting to be my friends.

Now, the guys that used to ignore me and not give me any time out of their day are the ones arriving in my inbox calling me pretty, etc. but karmas, karma and I will always remember how they treated me and made me feel; they left deep scars so their messages remain unanswered.

Being in that situation really took a toll on my self-esteem. Of course I had realized I wasn’t the skinniest girl in my school, and it did bother me; but them treating me differently because of it made me hate myself. I’ve became very insecure about my weight from then on, even when I lost weight. Not a lot of people understand how heavy the pressures are for girls to be perfect.

According to Kyle Schwenke, Neshaminy High School junior, guys are also pressured to have the perfect body. “Everyone expects you to be masculine and athletic; if not then you’re frowned upon.”

Schwenke stated with a disappointing tone in his voice. Were you ever bullied, I implied. “Yes I was in middle school because I was big.” Schwenke also added, “Over the past year or so I’ve been trying very hard to lose weight.”

Does anyone treat you differently now that you lost weight? I wondered. Schwenke assured me he does get treated somewhat different. “No one really judges me anymore in a sense, I worked really hard to lose these 60 pounds and all that matters to me right now is my health and happiness.” Just by talking to him I could feel how proud and happy he was, and that’s honestly all that matters. I can also say he looks astounding. Turns out guys are pressured just like girls are to have the perfect body.

The massive pressure we get put under can really leave a negative effect on people. It could lead to eating disorders, pressure to use steroids, an unhealthy preoccupation with weightlifting, etc. Most of us are disappointed about how society is turning out to be but then again we are society.

If we don’t like it or disagree with what society considers perfect, then we have to make a change. Society can begin changing just by accepting all shapes, sizes, colors, etc. and not judging people by their appearance. Treat others the way you would want to be treated, and before you know it you might even be proud of the society you have formed. Just remember, it’s never too late to make a change.

Barbie Pickul 3