Neshaminy Overwhelms Abington

Grace Marion, Editor-in-Chief

On Sept. 28 the Neshaminy Varsity football team set out to face the Galloping Ghosts of Abington High School. This was the first game of the season that will count towards the National Conference Competition.

Neshaminy came out with a score of 20-7 the first quarter, with scores by Will Dogba, and another by Haden Rooney.Dogba did a game’s worth of work in the first quarter, where he ran for a total of 139-yards overall. Two of the touchdowns in the first quarter were followed by good conversion kicks by Dylan McDonald, while one was not.

Still in the first quarter, Abington senior quarterback David Kretschman became the catalyst of their game, completing a few of strong runs to George Reid. Reid’s back-to-back grabs totaled 34 yards to the Neshaminy 16 where Kretschman did the rest, rushing the rest of the way for the score. Unfortunately for the Ghosts, the game went downhill from there.

With 0:25 remaining in the first quarter Dogba yet again made a touchdown, which was followed by a good conversion kick by Dylan McDonald. Before halftime, Neshaminy saw two more touchdowns, bringing the score to 24-7. The first of these was completed through Denzel Hughes recovering a fumble on Dogba’s part at the two yard line, and carrying the ball into the endzone. The second was scored on a run by Quarterback, Mason Jones, with 5:14 left in the half. McDonald’s kicks on both of Dogba’s and Jones’ kicks in the second second quarter.

Neshaminy came back strong in the second half, with another two touchdowns, this time scored by Joe Pirrone and Mike Crescenzo. These touchdowns were again followed by kicks by McDonald, bringing the final score to 47-7, Neshaminy.

Post-game, Neshaminy Player Parker Minotti was selected as the Sterling Limo National conference player of the week after helping Neshaminy achieve 393 rushing yard against Abington.

“Parker is just a very diligent, hard working person. No one wants to do a better job than he does. He just has a lot of desire to be very good, he’s a hard worker, and he tries to soak in as much information as he can. Physically, he’s a good looking kid – he’s 6-3, 215 pounds, and he’s very, very athletic for his position,” Neshaminy Head Coach, Steve Wilmot, said.