AMC Celebrates Cult Classic

By Zoey Joyce
Multimedia Editor

AMC Theatres is celebrating the month of October with special showings of the cult classic, Rocky Horror Picture Show. The movie turned 40 this year on September 25. Rocky Horror Picture Show is a very popular movie to see around Halloween.

Many theatres simply play the movie while others allow a cast of performers to shadow the movie, where the cast acts out what is happening during the movie in front of the screen. Rocky Horror is also known for its use of audience participation. There are certain points where phrases said in between the lines and even over them at some points. There are also certain props to be used throughout your time viewing the movie such as, a newspaper, noise maker and water guns.joyce

(Photo Credit: The Rocky Horror Picture Show Website)

Rocky Horror Picture Show started as a stage musical in London on 19 June 1973. The musical is slightly different from the motion picture. There are musical numbers in the stage version that are not in the motion picture. The audience participation is also very different compared to the audience participation for the movie. This is natural considering the stage musical has actual actors on a stage that can interact with the audience.

Jackie Reynolds, class of 2015, was asked about why she liked The Rocky Horror Picture Show. She replied with “Probably the fact that it is so different from other movies and that it oversteps most boundaries no one would think of.”

The movie is rated R. So to experience it you will need to be either 17 and up or attend with parents or an adult. The movie is being shown at AMC Neshaminy every Friday and Saturday for the month of October. Show times are 10pm for both Friday and Saturday. AMC workers encourage you to do the audience participation and to have a fun time.

AMC Theatre
Rocky Horror Website