Junior dancer, state-champion loves success, hard work

By Makensie Mason
Circulation Editor

For much of the population, gymnastics is a sport watched every four years with the olympics, one that is interesting, but wanes
and waxes from the public’s attention. For junior, Nina Macelko, it is much more. To Nina, gymnastics is the sport that has taught her dedication and perseverance since age five.

“I always jumped around the house and tried flips on my own, so my mom said I had to either join dance or gymnastics. So I chose gymnastics,” she said.

More recently, Macelko was ranked number 11 in Pennsylvania as well as second on the floor and fifth on the beam, her favorite event. In order to move onto regionals, a gymnast must score above a 34. Macelko reached this score and surpassed it, scoring a 35.45 and qualifying her for the regional competition at Ursinus College.

The regional competition is where gymnasts from Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Virginia, West virginia, Maryland and Delaware compete for a prestigious spot at the national competition in Florida.

Macelko has been on the competitive gymnastics team at Somerton Gymnastics for nine years and is coached by the owner, Donna Guenther. In between her busy school day and other extra-curricular activites, Nina must find the time to train. She trains about five days or 20 hours a week.

“I have a total of 20 trophies and 143 metals from competing,” Macelko said. These prizes are results from gymnastics competitions she has competed in throughout the country, including Wisconsin, California, Illinois, and Arizona.

Macelko’s exuberance for the sport is perfectly reflected: “I love talking about gymnastics,”
she said.

Nina’s love for the sport is evident in the hard work and time that she has put in. Her successes don’t end here as there is much to come in her career.