Softball team poised for play-off run

In 2013, the Neshaminy softball team made it to the state finals, only to lose in a 12-inning nail biter to Canon-MacMillan.  They would have to settle for silver.
Two years later, several members of that team are still playing for the high school. They have had a hunger for gold ever since. 
“Our goal is getting to the state championship and winning… we got there my sophomore year but we weren’t able to come out with a win,” said senior Sarah Snider Leonhauser, who plays first base for the team.
Not only are those upperclassmen hungry, they’re good—really good.
A look at the post-graduate plans of the players reveals just how talented the squad is. Sam Offenback has signed a letter of intent to Long Island University; Nikki Wild has signed her own letter with plans to play for the University of Rhode Island. Their junior teammate, Mackenzie Compton, verbally committed to Providence College before the season even began. Snider-Leonhauser, another big piece in Neshaminy’s dangerous lineup, will be playing softball at Ursinus College.
Though their offensive talent looked to be strong, they had to fill holes in their pitching staff. Along came two freshmen, Sarah Dowalo and Amber Ruggaro, and junior Cailyn Seely. The team was complete, and set for go.
Win after win, the girls began their season by defeating opponents handily, scoring over 10 runs in several games.
Not even Pennsbury, perennially Neshaminy’s strongest opponent, could stop the offensive onslaught Neshaminy produced, and the Falcons fell 11-3.
Yet three weeks and nine wins into the season, Neshaminy faced its first test as the girls fell to Council Rock South by a score of 2-1 on April 21. It was of course disappointing, but there were lessons to be learned from the loss, and positives to take away.
“It was a well played game, and even though we hit the ball we had a few breaks that just did not go our way. Despite the loss, the team still has high hopes and it’s better to lose early in the season, rather than in the playoffs when it matters most,” said Edward Miller, the Junior Varsity coach to the team and a social studies teacher at Neshaminy.
Despite the loss, the team seems poised for success. But even with that said, the girls have no easy path to that success. The Suburban One League National Conference, in which Neshaminy competes, is all around of high quality. The team’s remaining SOL schedule includes a rematch against Council Rock South.
“In this league, you need to take it one game at a time and never look past your next opponent,” Miller said.
Out-of-confer-ence play will be tough as well, as Neshaminy must take on Notre Dame High School, the last standing undefeated team in the area, in May.
Miller remains confident about the season’s second half.
“Of course this team has a shot at a state title. With several juniors and seniors already committed to college programs, they hope to bring Neshaminy its first state championship in softball since 2001,” Miller said.
Equally important is the chemistry and trust between the players. 
“Everyone on the team has stepped up as a leader this year,” said Snider-Leonhauser, “Everyone’s doing their job and taking the leadership roles they need to take.”
Her teammate Mackenzie Compton shared a similar belief: “we work together as a team really well.”
It is this belief in themselves that has kept them undefeated thus far, and it is this belief, the team hopes, that will drive them to that state title.