Group bands together forming Languid, Pennsylvania

By Monica Dinh
Entertainment Editor

Somewhere in the deep underground of Philadelphia, local band Languid, Pa. is probably strumming out some delightfully funky tunes. “We definitely feel more at home playing in someone’s basement than at fancy music venues,” Neshaminy junior, synth player and singer Noah Burke said, “A few favorites are The Baker Bowl and The Nursery.”
Languid Pa. is a collective, meaning there are many members with flexible membership who share creative control.
It all started from an ex-girlfriend – an ex-girlfriend who had previously dated two band members before the band initially formed. “She actually introduced us all to each other,” Burke said. Such karma proves that when a few doors close, a few more open.
After meeting, the four jammed out in a garage and ultimately just clicked. “We all run on the same brain frequency so it just works,” Burke said. What Languid Pa has going on here is smooth and unique all the way down to the basis of its band members.
Formerly known as Forever Lesbians, the band switched their name to Languid, Pa. due to controversial issues. While the two titles are very different, both originated from the same place; a fortune cookie. “It’s just what the note said, so we decided to name the band that,” Burke said.
Most bands have dreams of making it big in the music industry or getting famous and rich, but Languid Pa. has different aspirations. “I hope we all join NASA and go to space and be the first band to play on Mars,” Burke said.
Challenging aspects of many groups would boil down to songwriting. Not songwriting itself, but songwriting together. Though the group consists of different people with different personalities, members of Languid Pa always find a common ground when writing. “I think we draw inspiration from different places, but I guess it’s just the normal stuff; love and teenage angst and being sucked into the void every night before I go to sleep,” Burke said.
Whether on a large stage or in a basement Languid Pa always showers the crowd with an array of vibes. “Sometimes I feel dead when I play, sometimes I feel alive when I play, sometimes it even feels like I’m having a psychic premonition when I play,” Burke stated. Whatever the case, this band provides a unique performance each and every time an audience listens.
For all those who believe band members are not typical everyday people, Burke is here to prove them wrong. “The most rock star thing I’ve ever done is probably jump on my bed after bedtime. My life is really just this big collection of color and sound and I never want to give that up,” Burke said.
With down to earth members and eclectic jams, Languid Pa will undoubtedly create ripples in the music industry sometime down the road. Until then, they can be found all over cyberspace from Facebook and Twitter to SoundCloud, member Con’s username is “arthurshea,” and Bandcamp, username is “languidpa.”