Fitness craze continues with Fitbit trackers

By Ashley Reiss
Special Features Editor

Technology and fitness seem to be a similar craze being followed on social media, in the news, and in people’s daily life, so when entrepreneurs decided to combine the two ideas into one wearable technology it was an undeniable success.
Fitness trackers are now being offered as conventional watches, jewelry, clips, and bands, but the Fitbit’s seem to be on everyone’s wrist and minds after the holiday season. So what exactly is a Fitbit? The Fitbit is a brand of fitness trackers with many different types fitting all types of active consumers.
The simplest Fitbit consists of the Fitbit Zip. The Fitbit zip tracks steps, distance and calories burned. You can clip the product onto your clothing and though it is the cheapest of the fitbit series, it will still leave you shelling out $59.95.
The cool thing about this product, is its capable of connecting to the computer and most smartphones allowing the consumer is able to view stats and accomplishments.
The next Fitbit is called, Fitbit One which is able to do all of the same things as the Fitbit Zip but also has the ability to track the user’s sleep quality. This version also comes in handy by helping users regulate sleeping patterns. The product also comes equipped as an integrated alarm clock and comes in a clip form for running and costs $199.95.
Fitbit Flex is the introduction of the popular wristband which is the same as the Fitbit One including all the same features, however the wristband design skyrockets the price to $199.95.
Fitbit Charge is one of the newest Fit Bits which will take $129.95 out of your pocket. However, the charge offers many features important to consumers shopping for fitness wristbands including all the items of the previous Fitbits but has a caller ID notification display that lasts longer than competing trackers with a battery life of seven to 10 days and has wireless syncing. It offers water resistance, a seven day memory, and an organic light emitting diode (OLED) display.
The Fitbit Charge Hr is a more high tech model. This fitness tracker runs at $149.99 with new abilities to monitor heart rates. The Fitbit Surge was released early in 2015 offering GPS`, Music, and notifications costing $249.95.
Many other companies are making similar bands all offering one basic theme, to better your health. “I have a Nike Fuel band and I usually wear it, but I can’t wear it during wrestling competitions,” freshman Ryan Turner said. This brings up a big point; what’s the point of a fitness band if athletes cannot wear it during school competitions. If athletes are allowed to use it during activities like track, a fitbit can be a good way to see how far they have ran.
Physical education and health teacher Mrs. Kenney also wears a similar version of the Fitbit called Vivo Fit, “It is very similar to the Fitbit with the ability to track how far you walk. You are also able to set goals but the Vivo Fit has a red line telling you when you haven’t walked enough but I find it as a great motivator because whenever I see it, it always makes me want to even move more than I have,” she said.
A major percent of the population is currently obese or overweight and many people are seeking help with their fitness. The Fitbit can be very useful in situations like these. The Fitbit is good for those who have the motivation to put in the work and want to better their fitness. “It definitely helps motivate my wife, and a few other people I know who own them,” health and physical education teacher David Coll said. Fitbit may have a slight percent error, but they can help encourage general fitness and wellness and make the consumer of the product think twice of what they are ingesting and help make them choose better choices.
By no means is the Fitbit seen as something that will magically make the consumer lose weight, which is how many see this technology, but rather it’s something that can be seen as a tool in the advancement of better health. It allows you to see your results in data form and allows you to set personal goals for the consumer to help you advance in their health goals.
The one thing consumers of this product need is motivation. This comes with consumers actually wanting to, and willing to, put in the time and work needed for this product. Some may find that they can find motivation in the daily goals they surpass that they can set via the app or the sharing of their accomplishment with their friends and family members or even the rewards of badges they can recieve on the Fitbit website.