Change It Up Club spreads Autism Awareness

By Kayla Gowen

Autism is highly over-looked by many people who aren’t personally affected by it. In order to get people involved and educated on the topic, the entire month of April has been dedicated to Autism Awareness.

Autism is often known as autism spectrum disorder (ASD) and those with autism fight every day to overcome a wide range of disorders. Many who have autism have social impairments, communication difficulties and are restricted from doing many everyday things.

Neshaminy has proudly taken a step in the right direction and thanks to teacher Sandy Spong. Spong runs Neshaminy’s Change It Up Club and has taken the time to celebrate Autism Awareness and to make the school aware of ways to help.

“Communication; speaking and hearing, knowing how we interact with others and how others accept us, developing friendships and positive family interaction are all part of our daily lives,” Spong said.
In order to help and develop a better environment in the Nesahminy community Spong has advised a wide spread of communication.

Spong is also spreading the word on walks the raise money towards autism awareness. Shirts are also being sold around the school for the cause and to raise money for a Diversity Social event taking place on April 30, 2014.

“The Change It Up Club’s mission is to help people in our community in their everyday struggles,” Spong said. By getting involved one can help more than will ever know, even if it is just helping someone make a new friend.

In the Bucks County area there is a wide spread of organizations and volunteers who dedicate their time to make a better society for those who have autism.
Organizations, such as Bucks County Autism Support Coalition (BCASC), are dedicated to helping parents and teachers with children with autistic needs.

It is extremely important for a community of people to be aware of autism and take action, not only in the month of April. There are many ways to help those with autism overcome their challenges. Early diagnosis happens to be a very important part of helping children with this disease.

Though one may not be able to diagnose someone with autism on their own, there are many people willing to help.

It is very important to learn about autism and not be so quick to judge. Those with autism are just a like anyone else who has feelings. Contributing to Autism Awareness can be as easy as volunteering in the community or helping someone with autism make a new friend.