Self-Harm: Why it goes unnoticed, untreated

By Shannon Byrne and Brianna Rayner
Special Features Editor and Staff Writer

What does our society think when they hear the word self-harm? Lonely. Troubled. Freak. Depression and anxiety are often the root causes of self-harm. These are often labeled and set aside as a normal part of being a teenager and growing up. This is why these children are being ignored and thrown aside as over-dramatic teenagers and this is why they turn to drastic measures to relieve the pain.

According to Mind.org, “Self-harm is when you hurt yourself as a way of dealing with very difficult feelings, old memories, or overwhelming situations and experiences.” The orange ribbon is a symbol for self-harm prevention. The most universally recognized form of self-harm is cutting, however, the classification of self-harm is not limited to this method.

Many psychologist say that self-harm is a way for troubled individuals to feel in control of their emotional pain by causing physical pain. It draws attention away from the internal pain by bringing about physical pain.

People tend to confuse this cry for help as a cry for attention. For some self-harmers this may be true, but for others it’s the exact opposite. Most self-harmers are embarrassed and ashamed and don’t feel that they can receive help, or if they’re even worth the treatment. So they keep this part of their life extremely private and concealed.

Another common misconception is that self-harm is a suicide attempt. This isn’t always the case. It may be a way to express suicidal feelings, but the reasons for self-harm can be endless.

Jennifer Coe, a guidance counselor from Neshaminy high school believes that there are “many different reasons why people self-harm. But I personally think people self-harm because when someone is so stressed or depressed they need a coping method, this is considered one of the negative techniques of coping, also known as ‘maladaptive coping.’”

People have described self-harm as a way to express something that can’t be put into words, take away overwhelming feelings or thoughts, banish traumatic memories from their thoughts, to stop feeling disconnected or communicate that they’re experiencing severe stress.

The way self-harmers are treated in today’s society needs to change if we are going to take any steps toward recovery and improvement. We need to stop judging these people and calling them self-absorbed and attention-seeking. To stop making them feel alienated and alone and instead make them feel loved, cared for and safe.

Providing help to struggling teens is the only way to solve these problems, not ignoring them and pretending they don’t exist in the hope they’ll just disappear. They’re problems don’t disappear with ignorance and neither will ours.