‘Frozen,’ the next hit musical

By Brianna Diodata

Walt Disney CEO and Chairman Bob Iger, has noticed that the world has rightfully fallen in love with the studios Golden Globe winning, Oscar nominated film, “Frozen.” The film starring the voices of Idina Menzel and Kristen Bell is on its way to Broadway, following in the large footsteps of “The Lion King,” “Aladdin,” and “The Little Mermaid.” Disney Theatrical Production has given
confirmation that “Frozen” is in early development for the stage.

“We’re not demanding speed,” Iger said in an article from Fortune magazine. “We’re demanding
excellence.”

Though the Broadway adaptation of Disney’s icy movie-musical is in its very early stages, there will be plenty of excitement for more songs, especially for characters such as Kristoff, Sven, and Olaf.
The film, released on Nov. 27, loosely based on Hans Christian Anderson’s, “The Snow Queen,” “Frozen”, tells the tale of Princess Anna’s (Bell) journey to find her estranged sister, Elsa (Menzel), whose magical powers had created an eternal winter in the kingdom of Arendale.

After countless duds for Disney Animation Studios, the film has turned into a huge success. Iger said he knew “Frozen” would be a smash hit as soon as he saw it for the first time, bringing him to tears. “I was glad I was wearing 3D glasses,” Iger said. “It was my proudest moment as the CEO of the Walt Disney Company.”

This unconventional princess story has captivated the hearts of many and become Disney’s biggest box office hit in almost 20 years. Grossing over $669 million so far the movie is soon to pass “The Lion King” in overall box office numbers. The Wall Street Journal wrote that the film, “caps a renaissance for Disney Animation Studios.”

The movie already contains Broadway stars including Menzel from the musical “Wicked” and Jonathan Groff of “Spring Awakening.” Also, the songs for the movie were written by Robert Lopez and wife Kristen Anderson-Lopez. R. Lopez is well known on Broadway for his work as a book writer, composer, and lyricist. “The Book of Mormon” and “Avenue Q,” both won Lopez Tony Awards in 2004 and 2011. The soundtrack features memorable songs like “Let It Go” and “Do You Want to Build a Snowman?” It has proven to be a hit, coming in at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 chart.

No concrete date has been set for the Broadway adaptation of the sure-to-be Tony award winning production, but that doesn’t mean there should be any lack of over how the theater maestros will bring Elsa’s snow magic, the Valley of the Living Rock, the North Mountain and, most importantly, Olaf to life on stage.