‘Karmin’ rocks Philadelphia

By Tim Cho
Student Life and Web Editor

On Jan. 31, the Theatre of Living Arts in Philadelphia experienced a night of Karmin’s “Pulses” tour.

The duo-group, Amy Heidemann and Nick Noonan, began as two college kids and ended up as the famous fiancé and fiancée. Both from small suburban towns, they met at Berklee College of Music. Their musical chemistry for music led to a romantic chemistry as they fell in love while falling into the world of making music.

Karmin released its first album, Inside Out, in May of 2010. In April of 2011, they released their cover of Chris Brown’s, “Look at Me Now” on YouTube and gained immense popularity, leading to an appearance on The Ellen DeGeneres Show and On Air with Ryan Seacrest.

Soon afterwards, their fame grew as they gained more fans. Now they have embarked upon their “Pulses” tour that began on Jan. 29 in Baltimore, Maryland and made its way through Millvale, Pennsylvania and eventually to Philadelphia on Jan. 31 at the TLA.

They performed fan favorites, ranging from “Acapella,” to a new single in their upcoming album, “Pulses.” Noonan shook the crowd with his multiple trombone solos while Heidemann sang her heart out.

For the two hours they had with their Philadelphia crowd, they had their fans on their feet jumping and singing along the entire night. With an electric atmosphere, pounding bass and cheering fans from toddlers to old-timers, each song became increasingly more vigorous.

Popular songs from other artists were even mixed in—literally. Macklemore’s “Thrift Shop” was incorporated into “Too Many Fish,” resulting in a deafening cheer from the crowd. Even by the end of the night, Karmin showed no signs of stopping.

Every good thing has to come to an end and eventually Heidemann gave her farewells to Philadelphia. “I wish I could live here; the people are so alive,” she told Noonan. The mutual love between her and the crowd could not be ignored.

Yet, the lights dimmed and the two of them left. After chants of, “Karmin! Karmin! Karmin!” they made a return to sing two more songs, “Look at Me Now,” and “Brokenhearted.” They brought one of their fans from the audience onto the stage and Heidemann rapped alongside the lucky fan in “Look at Me Now,” while Noonan gave everything his vocal cords could possibly give in “Brokenhearted,” a song of how he and Heidemann met.

From there, the couple left and did not return, despite the crowd’s urging for an encore. The lights flashed back on and the TLA quickly emptied. South Street was oblivious to the night Karmin had.

What began with a spirited crowd ended with a congregation of voice-dead fans as the “Pulses” tour became no more in the city of brotherly love.