MLK Day in Bucks

Shannon Byrne
Special Features Editor

Martin Luther King Jr. is name known by many. He was a Baptist minister and a prominent figure in the fight for Civil Rights; his efforts were awarded with a Nobel Peace Prize, all the way up to his assassination on April 4, 1968.

Every year, on Jan. 20, the birthday of Martin Luther King Jr. is celebrated in a variety of ways. One of these ways is through a day of service. This National Day of Service was started by former Pa. US Senator Harris Wofford in honor of King. This day of service is practiced by many in the Bucks County community.

The Langhorne Rotary Club sponsors a pasta dinner that benefits the Rotary’s efforts to eliminate polio. This dinner will be held at St. James Episcopal Church Hall on Monday, Jan. 17 from 5:30 to 8:00 pm. Tickets are $8 for adults, $4 for children under the age of 13 and free for those under 3.

The Central Bucks’ Days of Service Program will be holding a Martin Luther King Day of Service opening ceremony at the First Baptist Church at 9pm on Monday, Jan. 20 where they will be collecting canned goods for food drives.

In addition, the George School was in session on January 17 for the 22 annual commemoration of Martin Luther King.

The Feasterville Ministerium will be holding a “Day of Service, Education and Worship.” And the Washington House in Sellersville, PA will be hosting a “View and Brew” where they will show the 2000 classic “Remember the Titans.”

Our Lady of Grace school is also holding their Day of Service – making meals for the organization Aid for Friends. Students of all ages are welcomed to this event to volunteer on their day off from school and celebration of the amazing work of King.