Street artist, ‘Banksy,’ paints New York

By Corey LaQuay
Photo Editor

Murals by the street artist Banksy have captivated the attention of people all over the world. Some have identified his pieces as a form of artistic terrorism, while others view his work with a more reflective state of mind. Banksy, a street artist from Bristol, England, has arrived in America to add to the ever-changing landscape of New York City.

Banksy is a world-renowned, yet unidentifiable street artist who has created a name for himself among the controversial nature of graffiti. He attempts to stray away from the negative stigma that is given off by slapping a name on a wall with a spray can, and instead puts a twist on what society understands to be fact. Banksy’s pieces are not only artistically impressive, but they also make a powerful statement.

For example, one piece of artwork shows the stencil of a rebel soldier throwing a bouquet of flowers, and another displaying a young girl frisking a military officer. Both offer perspectives different from what we understand to be true, while also promoting peace and human rights.

The fine line between graffiti and street art is being taken to new heights. Banksy is walking the line between art and vandalism every time a new mural appears on the side of someone’s home or business. With his identity a secret, he lurks under the radar of police and public officials in the middle of the night.

“There is a whole branch of urban art called ‘mural art’ where you work with the building owner to create artwork on the side of a building. Outside of this however, it should be considered graffiti,” said Syd White, an art teacher at Neshaminy High School.

Banksy creates images by first creating a stencil. These stencils are intricately cut from pieces of cardboard to represent one color out of the two or three shades that the piece requires. These skeleton portions are then brought to life by applying a coat of spray paint inside the empty spaces. This operation often takes place in the middle of the night in seemingly inaccessible locations to add to the significance of Banksy’s work.

Despite his criminal notoriety, Banksy continues to put out eye-catching works of art that appeal to even the common passerby. Most recently, he decided to move to New York for a short period of time. The city is his canvas, and fans of his artwork are flocking to find the next installment of his city-wide gallery.

“The plan is to live here, react to things, see the sights—and paint on them. Some of it will be pretty elaborate, and some will just be a scrawl on a toilet wall,” said Banksy in a confidential e-mail interview with New York’s The Village Voice.

Because most of Banksy’s work can be traced back to England, his notoriety and popularity is most prevalent in the United Kingdom. The general public in the United States is often unable to recognize Banksy’s pieces as his own, let alone works of art. Many of his recent works have been vandalized by local graffiti artists or even painted over completely by building owners.

Banksy plans to reside in New York until the end of October, putting up a new piece every day. This month, he has created a visual interpretation of an intriguing love story between a dog and a fire hydrant, two rebellious paperboys reaching for a spray can, and a play on the typeface of New York graffiti artists. One of his more intricate creations to date, he also filled a graffiti-covered box truck with a garden scene – complete with a waterfall and foliage.

“I know street art can feel increasingly like the marketing wing of an art career, so I wanted to make some art without the price tag attached. There’s no gallery show or book or film. It’s pointless. Which hopefully means something,” said Banksy.

The progress of Banksy’s project in New York City can be viewed in person at one of the discretely listed exhibition sites, or by visiting his website, banksy.co.uk.