College application process broken down, explained

By Juliette Rihl
Contributing Editor

We’ve all heard the typical, run-of-the-mill advice when it comes to choosing a college: apply to safety schools, get your applications out of the way early, take both the SATs and ACTs, etc. etc. But here’s some valuable advice that your aunt, guidance counselor or Seventeen magazine may have left out.

What they don’t tell you:
1. On your essays, don’t play it safe.

Trust us, as spiritually awakening as volunteering at the local homeless shelter or as triumphant as winning that championship soccer game may have been for you, admissions officers have heard it all before – many, many times. Try not to write about the first thing that comes to mind, because chances are, it’s the first thing that came to a lot of people’s minds. Instead, take your time in choosing an original topic to write about. It’s well worth the wait.

2. Apply here, there, and everywhere.

Think you definitely want to live in a large college town or on a small, rural campus? Think again. Your 16 or 17 years old—chances are you’re not ‘definite’ about anything involving a major life decision. How you feel about where you want to live could completely change in just a few months. To compensate for this, make sure you apply to at least one large school, one small school, one urban school, and one suburban or rural school, just in case. It’s better to be safe than sorry.

3. Apply to ALL of the scholarships.

If you’re eligible, just do it. There are almost three billion dollars available annually in scholarships (http://thenext3000days.com/2011/03/30/why-millions-of-dollars-of-scholarships-go-unclaimed/). Chances are, you’ll be able to snag a few. Your wallet will thank you later.

4. Don’t take it too seriously!

We’re not saying that you shouldn’t give a hoot about the college process, just… don’t give too many hoots. It’s important, but not life-or-death important. Seriously though, calm down. This is a turning point in your life— enjoy it!

5. Don’t over-prepare for interviews (if you have them).

Your first college interview will likely be somewhat daunting, especially if you’ve never been interviewed before. The key is not to spend weeks practicing your answers to likely questions or intensely researching the school in question. Over-preparing will make you sound rehearsed and will likely cause you unnecessary anxiety. The key is to appear relaxed and natural; as cliché as it is, just be yourself. Interviewers are looking to see who you are, so try to think of specific reasons why their school would be a good fit for you personally.