Student exemplifies importance of safe teen driving

Brianna Spause
Special Features/Web Editor

Driving is a rite of passage into the world of teenage “freedoms.” Passing the test is the hard part, than it’s easy street – or so many teenagers seem to believe. The truth of the matter is however, unsafe driving is the number one killer of teens in the United States. According to figures published by Keepthedrive.com crashes involving teen drivers have been responsible for over 85,000 deaths since 2000.

Seniors at Neshaminy High School are directly effected by the pressure to practice safe driving on school grounds. With good grades and regular attendance, Seniors with licenses are granted the ability to park in the Senior Parking lot, observed by principal Lynn Knotts. “The consequences [of innapropriate behavior, or unsafe driving] could vary from a warning to a suspension, or the pulling of a parking permit,” Knotts said.

Keepthedrive.com is a teen-led campaign to stop unsafe teen driving. These stickers were designed to draw attention to the consequenses of unsafe driving.Distractions come from every direction as soon as you strap in behind the wheel. Texting, speeding, peer pressure – the list goes on, and so do the consequences. In May of 2012, Senior Caroline Crasnick experienced the terror of associated with a car accident.

“We were in an unfamiliar area. My friend probably wasn’t paying as much attention to the road as she could have been, we were also distracting her. She accidentally ran a red light, and someone rammed into the side of her car.” Crasnick said.

There were only minor injuries, but many teens are not nearly as lucky. Drivers at the age of sixteen are at the highest risk for a fatal crash, 40 percent more than 18-year-olds and 30 percent more than 19-year-olds. “The most important reason to obey traffic laws is to avoid accidents and serious injury to others, as well as yourself,” Knotts said.

The numbers do not lie, unsafe driving is a major problem that teens are notorious for. The consequences transcend not only to the driver and his/her passengers’ health, but to the safety of others on the road. “Maybe you think it looks cool for you 100 mph, but you could seriously hurt somebody,” Crasnick said.

No text message is worth a life. Nor is a channel change worth the emotional damage such a traumatic even can cause. “During the crash, I was in total disbelief that it even happened.” Crasnick revealed. “Emotionally, it’s kind of difficult, it has almost been a year and I still can’t drive past that spot.”

It’s easy to imagine the emotional pain such an event would provoke in a person. Often looked past is the financial, and legal consequences of unsafe driving. Figures produced by Mothers Against Drunk Driving show that vehicular manslaughter is grounds for up to 10 years in jail. The Pennsylvania “Anti-Texting Law” states that drivers caught texting and driving will receive a preliminary fine of $50.

In order to promote safe teen driving, insurance companies such as Allstate create incentives to keep the focus on the road. The Safe Driving Bonus offers teen drivers 5% off their renewal bill every six months without an accident, as well as Deductible Rewards that subtract $100 from the driver’s deductible every year without an accident.

Along with Caroline, 45% of teens reported that they would definitely speak up if a teen driver were being unsafe. “I always get mad at my friends for not paying attention or texting while they’re driving.”

Safety is of the utmost importance while behind the wheel. Being in control of a vehicle comes along with the responsibility of not only your life, but the lives of all the other drivers, pedestrians, and innocent bystanders around you.

A simple turn of the head could be the cause of an accident; submitting to other distractions greatly increases those chances.

So beat the statistics. Buckle up. Look both ways at stop signs. Obey the 11 p.m. junior license curfew. Remember the next time the phone rings that it is a conscious decision to be a safe driver, and the consequences fall on no one else but you. In the wise words of Lynn Knotts, “Stay alert, stay alive!”