Accolades piling up for two-sport junior

By Reed Hennessy
Sports Editor

Starting at Point Guard, Junior and Captain Megan Schafer leads the Lady ‘Skins each and every game while playing like a teammate and sharing the ball. With a combination of speed, athleticism and an unselfish attitude with the ball, she is near impossible to defend on the court.

“For being such a gifted athlete and student Megan is a very humble down to earth person,” said Head Coach Joe Lally. Averaging nine and a half points, seven point one assists and six point two assists per game Schafer is both a leader and team player.

To simply put it, Schafer practices like her team is in second, but plays like they’re in first. “With all her talents she continues to work very hard on a daily basis to improve her game,” said Lally. All around, the Lady Skins basketball team is a dominate force spearheaded by Schafer on and off the hardwood.

As a captain, Schafer is an amazing leader and as the point guard Schafer displays her ability to survey the court quickly and giving her team the opportunity to put points on the board. Schafer leads by example both on and off the court.

“Personally, I had high expectations on our team just knowing that we were a young team last year, so this year we had a lot of experience,” said Schafer. Schafer has certainly proved herself this year, bringing Neshaminy to first place.

Not only excelling in basketball, Schafer has also been named the 2012 High School Soccer Player of the Year by the National Soccer Coaches Association of America. “I just thought it was crazy that I actually got recognized for it and that coaches nominated me for it,” said Schafer.

Schafer has been an offensive force since her first year at the high school and it is not changed since. Schafer has accounted for 50 of the goals scored by the Skins this past season with a team leading record of 27 goals and 23 assists.

After going undefeated in the Suburban One League National Division, and finishing third in the District 1 class AAA; the Skins would advance to the state quarterfinals. Schafer proved to be a key player in this game, especially when she converted a penalty kick that put the Skins on the scoreboard.

Schafer’s ability to survey the field quickly as well as, if not better than, her opponent’s which allows to her show off her individual ability of scoring, and her un-selfish attitude with the ball as well. Her speed, combined with her ability to control the ball absolutely destroys any opposition in her way. On top of this; Schafer is able to muscle her way into goals in the box.
If she is beat, which doesn’t happen often, she is relentless in getting the ball back. This is just Schafer’s junior year; senior year should prove to be even better. Accomplishing what a senior couldn’t even imagine, what is in store for next year will prove to be incredible.