Pitch Perfect review

With its comedic approach and flashy musical numbers, “Pitch Perfect” peaked to No.3 in the Box Office. On Sept. 28, “Pitch Perfect” premiered in theatres with sold-out shows throughout the day. The plot follows the journey of an all girl a cappella group, the Bellas, from Barden University as they compete against an all male a cappella group, the Treblemakers, to win Nationals.

The story begins with Beca, a Barden freshman, forced to go to college and join a club by her over-bearing father, who works as a professor at the college. Meanwhile, reeling from a humiliating loss last spring, the Barden Bellas have a difficult time recruiting new members.

Eventually, with much persuasion from the blonde leader, Aubrey, and redhead cohort Chloe, Beca, an aspiring music producer, agrees to join. Throughout the story, she finds romance with rival, but nice guy, Jesse, from the Treblemakers and helps the Bellas sing their way back to respectability.

The director, Jason Moore, chose a cast that was quirky enough to fit the roles perfectly; starring Anna Kendrick as “Beca Mitchell”, Skylar Astin as “Jesse Swanson”, Anna Camp as “Aubrey Posen”, Rebel Wilson as “Fat Amy” and Brittany Snow as “Chloe Beale”. “The unusually attractive cast, which is consistently filled with performers well over college age, is fun to watch,” wrote Todd McCarthy in a“Hollywood Reporter” article.

On the other hand, “Pitch Perfect” has been attacked by critics for its a cappella interpretation, some comparing it to real groups. “The NBC competition series “The Sing-Off” showed how entertaining a cappella music can be, but this movie doesn’t respect it enough to delineate the hard work that goes into making it,” stated Neil Ganzlinger from “The New York Times”.

Although a few critics disliked it, “Pitch Perfect “received favorable reviews, with an 81 percent on the well-known site “Rotten Tomatoes”.

“It was like a superior and more amusing, double episode of Glee”, explained sophomore Angela Sanson. All in all, the movie became the second highest grossing musical comedy film behind “School of Rock”, receiving over $65 million.

According to Variety Magazine, there have been rumors of a sequel potentially happening next year.

4 out of 5 turkeys