Basketball team shoots for National Conference title

By Tom Sottnick
Archivist

The Neshaminy ’Skins girls’ varsity basketball team is off to a great start to the season under first year head coach Joe Lally. “Because we’re athletic,” said head coach Joe Lally.

The Lady Skins have an overall record of 10 wins and two losses, with a conference record of five wins and two losses.

With the fast start, Neshaminy is in second place in the National Conference, trailing only the Abington Ghosts.

In the opener the Lady ’Skins came out with a 58 to 53 win over Central Bucks East. After an opening win against C.B. East the Lady ’Skins opened up conference play by defeating Harry S. Truman 59 to 37 in the first of three straight road games.

Neshaminy stayed on a roll by winning another road game against Bensalem. This time the Lady ’Skins blew out the Owls with a score of 55 to 14. Neshaminy saw their perfect season come to an end against Abington as the Lady Skins lost a close game by a final of 50 to 46.

This is the Lady ’Skins only loss of their season. The Lady’Skins responded well to the loss as they were able to win their next five games.

After the three game road trip, the Lady ’Skins enjoyed three straight home games. In a non-conference game, Neshaminy was able to handle Woodstown 55 to 34. In the second of the three game home stretch, the Lady ’Skins defeated Owen J Roberts 47-31.

After two out of conference games the Lady ’Skins faced three straight National Conference opponents. Neshaminy beat William Tennet 40 to 35 in the final game of their three straight games at home.

When the Lady ’Skins took the road again they defeated Council Rock South 60-50, and then came back home to beat Council Rock North 54-45 to bring their record to eight wins and one loss.

Neshaminy blew out Franklin Towne Charter on the road 70 to 40 extending the Lady ’Skins win streak to six straight games. When they resumed league play Neshaminy saw their six game win streak come to an end at home to rival Pennsbury by a score of 42 to 52, it was just their second loss of the season. But the Lady ’Skins were able to rebound and blow out Pottstown and home 72 to 27.

As a team this season the Lady ’Skins have a total 230 steals. “We’ve had a system change to get out and run as much as we can because were athletic and want to play to strengths,” Head Coach Joe Lally said.

Neshaminy has had three players this season average over 10 points a game; Sarah Oliveria with 10.1 points per game, Lori Paulits with 13.1 points per game, and Senior Megan Schafer with 10.1 points per game and 7.4 assists per game.

This season Neshaminy has turned up their level of play. After finishing with a record under .500 Last year the Lady ’Skins have made significant improvements to their team this year. “We have a willingness and ability to compete and not let each other down,” Lally said.

With about half of the season left to go the Lady ’Skins have to keep their play and intensity up no just to make a run at the playoffs, but to also try and secure a high seed in the post season tournament.