Redskin mascot: honorable term

Redskin mascot: honorable term

By Sara Keating
Student Life Editor

Throughout history, the fight for civil rights has been an on-going and tedious process. Today, rather than enforcing racist laws as was commonplace in the past, the endeavor to honor and celebrate different people groups in various ways seems to be as strong as ever. One such example of this is seen here at Neshaminy; our mascot, the Redskin, is a tribute to the strong Native American ties that link us to those who lived in this area before us.

For over 50 years, the Indian head has been the mascot for the Neshaminy School District, but it hasn’t been until more recent years that complaints have been made. For a little more than ten years, a select few have been lamenting that the term “redskin” is highly offensive to Native Americans.

Yet it is fact that most Native Americans do not find this term to be even remotely insulting. In 2004, the Annenberg Public Policy Center at University of Pennsylvania found that of the 768 Native Americans asked whether they were offended by the Washington Redskins’ name, only 9 percent declared it derogatory; one percent did not take a stance while 90 percent claimed they did not find the name insulting in any way.

The intent of those who decided to use the Redskin as Neshaminy’s mascot was anything but racist. Neshaminy itself is a Lenni Lenape word thought to mean “place where we drink twice.” Tawanka – meaning willing to try – and Poquessing are also Native American words. A redskin is a logical mascot given this area’s history.

Many of the schools of which Neshaminy School District is comprised share the names of local people of importance. Ironically, no one questions whether the descendants of Joseph Ferderbar or Oliver Heckman are offended that their ancestors’ names are being used as monikers for schools. It is apparent and obvious that the schools were named what they were in order to recognize important people. The same can be said for the District’s mascot.

The Apr. 20, 2001 Playwickian editorial claimed “…the school [Neshaminy] is promoting tolerance and acceptance of atrocities performed years ago close to the birth of our country” – but this intrepid remark could not be further from the truth. The worst offense committed by those who decided on “Redskins” as Neshaminy’s mascot is that they have given students something under which to unite.

“The name is only racist if you make it racist,” senior and captain of the bowling team, Cody Costantini, said. “I’m proud to be a Redskin and represent my school.” Similar opinions can be seen and heard all throughout the district.

America has come a long way since its days of white supremacy and racism. Make no mistake; there is a large portion of the path to true equality that must be traversed before the Declaration of Independence’s words “all men are created equal” ring true. To deny the presence of racism that still lingers in our country would be wrong. But, at the same time, our country must learn to choose its battles.

Why fight a symbol of homage paid to Native Americans in the form of a mascot? The Neshaminy Redskins is not a racist name. It immortalizes the vital influence that Native Americans have had over this area and that is something of which we can be proud.