Green Day singer goes to rehab

Julianne Miller
Copy Editor

During the Sept. 21, 2012 iHeartRadio Music Festival in Las Vegas, Billie Joe Armstrong, lead singer of the popular band Green Day, had a profanity-filled outburst in the middle of one of their songs.

“He pointed repeatedly to a monitor indicating that the band had only one minute left for its set – and, eventually, zero minutes – leading some observers to believe that Green Day’s performance had been cut short,” Dave Itzkoff said in his Sept. 24, 2012 “Green Day’s Billie Joe Armstrong Seeks Treatment After Rant” article.
In addition to the obscene language, Armstrong violently smashed his guitar to the point where it was no longer able to be used, then dismissed himself from the stage. Because of this unexpected rant, Billie Joe Armstrong started seeking treatment for substance abuse on Sept. 25, thus resulting in the unfortunate postponing of many of Green Day’s upcoming shows.

“The singer reportedly had been sober for a year before drinking heavily in Las Vegas the night of his band’s appearance at the iHeart Radio festival,” Carl Williot said in his Sept. 26 “…Armstrong in Rehab After Drinking in Las Vegas” article.

In addition, family and friends of Armstrong had announced that with their support, Billie is doing okay, and will hopefully be able to enjoy the upcoming release of their new album, ¡UNO!