Scheduling conflict arises for seniors

Brianna Spause
Social Networking Editor

Neshaminy High School’s Class of 2013 Senior Prom has unfortunately been scheduled on the same date as this year’s international Model United Nations competition in New York City.

Model UN is a small extracurricular activity that is run by Social Studies teacher Josh Stoner. Although this group is small in size compared to the other activities that take place at the high school, it remains an important experience to all involved.

The competition offers insight into the decision making process of the actual United Nations, and how much effort and reasoning go into creating international law. As a high school student, the competition is a one of a kind exposure of real world issues that any class in school could never teach.
Senior prom has long been a rite of passage for high school students – the last hoorah before 4 years of high school come to a close. Of those who attended the conference last year, five students are from the class of 2013.

The problem presents itself as an important decision. In recent years, lack of funding has cut all of the smaller meets for Model UN except one, leaving the international competition in New York as the only chance students have to participate. The seniors can either miss their prom or the weekend long competition, both chances to make memories that will last a lifetime.